Bereavement Ministry provides compassionate, prayerful support to families of the deceased. The foundation of bereavement support at the Church of Saint Mary uses a companionship model of ministry adapted from the Archdiocese of Atlanta and is based on the work of Alan. D. Wolfelt, Ph.D. author – educator – grief counselor, Understanding Your Grief: Ten Essential Touchstones for Finding Hope and Healing Your Heart. Bereavement Ministry funeral services include a parish provided Memoriam Archival Box to house cards, notes and letters of condolence; funeral hospitality service at parish-hosted wakes, rosaries, and funerals; special needs and assistance for families; periodic well being courtesy check-up contact.
Bereavement Ministry also organizes and sponsors annual memorial services to include:
- November Book of the Dead
- Memorial Prayers of Faithful for Deceased Parishioners & Loved Ones
- November Table of Remembrance – A photo gallery of deceased loved ones
- Mass of the Holy Innocents – A Memorial Mass for children lost to miscarriage, still-born, infant death
- Bereavement Library of books, pamphlets, and brochures
- Periodic educational and informational group sessions